Summer Reading List
Heritage Christian School’s summer reading program is designed to enrich and broaden the reading of students and to reinforce the college preparatory curriculum of the English Department. During the summer break, students will have the opportunity to choose one book they would like to read from the list of options for their grade level in the fall. After reading the book of their choice, students will type up ten one-to-two sentence insights (including the page number of the insight) they enjoyed about the book which may relate to the themes, characters, plot, setting, etc. If the students would like to earn extra credit, then they may choose only one additional book and complete the same assignment that they did for the required book. These assignments will be due on the first day of school.
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O’Brien
- Gifted Hands by Ben Carson
- The Pearl by John Steinbeck
- Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
- The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
- Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
- The King’s Shadow by Elizabeth Adler
- The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
- The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Profound Good: See God through the Lens of Love by Blake Healy
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
- Don’t Give Up, Don’t Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life by Louis Zamperini
AP ENGLISH 11 (Language and Composition)
- Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
AP ENGLISH 12 (Literature and Composition)
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
AP Psychology Summer Assignment 2020
In order to prepare for AP Psychology this fall, I would like for you to do the following assignment this summer. Please, read the required reading book and follow the instructions for the written portion. If you decide to the extra credit, you will need to read the extra credit books. These books will provide a wise foundation and a deeper insight for the information we will be discussing.
My hope is that you will not just complete this assignment but grow in your understanding of yourself, others, and God. Enjoy!
- Who Switched Off My Brain? Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions by Dr. Caroline Leaf (Buy Now)
Extra Credit Reading
- Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health by Dr. Caroline Leaf (Buy Now)
- Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend (Buy Now)
- Changes that Heal: How to Understand Your Past to Ensure a Healthier Future by Dr. Henry Cloud (Buy Now)
Written Portion Instructions
- Type up 10 insightful concepts (1-2 sentences per concept) from Who Switched Off My Brain?. Be sure to include the page number for each concept.
- If you decide to do the extra credit, then follow the same instructions for #1 on each of the extra credit books.
- REMEMBER: Use the MLA format for your heading and the name of the book for your title.
These written assignments are DUE on the first day of class.